Lactation Center Services:
- Free inpatient consultations
- Free outpatient consultations
- Breastfeeding support products
- Pump rentals and sales – instructions and support
- Special attention to intensive care babies and their families
- Consultations for mothers returning to work
- Assistance with breastfeeding multiples or other special needs situations
- Educational materials and resources
- Breastfeeding telephone assistance
Lactation Consultation Includes:
- Care provided by a highly specialized health care provider with advanced training in breastfeeding management
- Physical assessment of mom and baby
- Evaluation of breastfeeding problems or concerns
- Suggestions for resolving difficulties
- Referral to other health care providers when needed
The lactation center offers breastfeeding support and baby care products for purchase. Other breastfeeding items are also available, including Medela® breast pumps for sale and rent. Lactation services are offered throughout Baptist Health System. Please ask your nurse for more information.
The Mother's Milk First Lactation Center also welcomes your flexible spending accounts on purchases in our retail shop. Fees for breast pumps and support products may be covered by some insurance carriers but are ultimately the responsibility of the client. Consultations are by appointment only. We are offering a drop-in question time Wednesday at 3 pm. Please come by for a latch or weight check, milk calorie testing or pump checks. Call 297-4086 for more information.
NICU Support Group for parents with babies in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Details to come.
Mother’s Milk Bank Collection Center
In partnership with the Mother’s Milk Bank at Austin (MMBA), North Central Baptist Hospital acts as a mother’s milk collection site for San Antonio. As a collection site, North Central will provide sterile containers for donor mothers, distribute literature about the MMBA, accept and log donated mother’s milk, and maintain the freezing receptacle dedicated to storing donations until it can be collected by the MMBA.
Officially opened in 1999, the MMBA is a non-profit organization whose mission is to accept, pasteurize and dispense donor human milk by physician prescription primarily to premature and ill infants. Through the collective efforts of volunteers, donors, supporters and hospital site collecting, the MMBA is able to provide much needed milk to babies in neonatal intensive care units and several special care nurseries throughout Texas and beyond.
For more information about Mother’s Milk First Lactation Center or the Mother’s Milk Bank, please call (210) 297-4086 or contact the Mother’s Milk Bank at Austin toll free (877) 813-MILK (6455) or online at www.mmbaustin.org .